Convent Avenue Baptist Church is a Christian fellowship whose head is our Lord Jesus Christ. We believe that the foremost mission of the church is to proclaim the Gospel and bring souls to Christ. Here are more of our congregation’s guiding principles.
- We believe in God, our Father and Creator; Jesus Christ, the Son and Savior; and the Holy Spirit, the Comforter—and that these three are One. (John 17:20-23, 14:26, 15:26) We also believe in “One Lord, one faith, and one baptism.” (Ephesians 4:5).
- We believe that God is love. The Bible says: "God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
- We believe in salvation. God’s plan of salvation for all humankind is simple: Grace—through faith in Jesus Christ. (Ephesians 2:1-10, John 10:16).
- We believe that the church is the body of Jesus Christ. As members of the body of Christ, we should have the same care for one another as Christ has for us—suffering and rejoicing together, keeping one another in prayer, encouraging one another and fully abiding in the love of Christ that we may bear much fruit. (1 Corinthians 12:18-27; John 15:3-17).
- We believe in baptism by total immersion. Believers are baptized by water, in the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit, thus symbolizing their internal transformation. As believers in Christ, our sins and old nature are washed away and we rise into new life in Him. (2 Corinthians 5:17; Acts 22:16, 1 Corinthians 6:11)
- We believe that the Bible is the living Word of God. The Bible is a perfect treasure of heavenly instruction wherein "all scripture is given by inspiration of God." (2 Timothy 3:16-17) It is the true center of the Christian union, and its purpose is salvation. As we study the Bible, the Holy Spirit serves as our interpreter and teacher in understanding the readings and applying them to our daily lives. (John 16:13, 2 Peter 1:19-21)
- We believe that Christ is coming back. And until then, when we shall see Him face to face, our mission is to live according to God’s will, to serve others and to love one another as God has loved us. (1 Corinthians 13:12-13, 2 Corinthians 4:5-7, 5:14-15)